Monday, September 13, 2004

Scam-arino

Guess what? I just got roped into a scam! I should have heard of this one, should've thought twice, but oh well. Actually, I'm surprisingly happy! For all I can tell, the speakers actually work.

I bought a pair of floor speakers from a couple guys in an SUV. They seemed a little shady, but I didn't think much of it. I figured at worst the speakers were stolen. Their excuse was that they were installers and their SUV had been overstocked, and they would sell the extras before anyone noticed. I didn't completely buy the story, but these seemed like pretty good speakers, so I went ahead and did it.

When I brought them home, I tried hooking them up and they initially didn't work. I went on the web to look up the company and find information on the speakers. However, the first thing that popped up was a scam alert. I started reading a couple of stories of exactly the same situation, a couple with exactly the same excuse. I got worried, but eventually i figured out that I was trying to hook it up wrong anyway. When correctly connected, a trickle of sound does come out, and I think when they're hooked up to my stereo they'll work fine.

As for the speakers themselves, they're a pair of 3-foot high sturdy black oak boxes, and each of them has two 8" bass drivers, a 5" midrange, (all 3 of them are kevlar with foam pads), and a 1" titanium-coated tweeter. I sure hope I can get these working, because they're starting to look like a decent buy for the second time today.

2 comments:

  1. You are the only person I know that would be excited that they got roped into a scam.

    If you can't get them working, bring them up here and they can be decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry hon, they do work. Although, I don't truly have room for them... Maybe we can find those guys again, they were in a blue SUV... We can even ask them for a discount via blackmail! Yesss!

    ReplyDelete