Saturday, July 1, 2006

Certified, Bone fide, Quantified

Well, life has been treating me well for the past week. Last weekend I took another trip down to Larkspur to see Ashley and the girls in action. I had a lot of fun, and got out with my wallet only a little slimmer. I did, however, buy one of the leather journals from D'Vyne Wrytes that I've always wanted. It's so cool! I also got to see the campsite for the first time. Usually its only open to staff but since I was in costume, I was able to sneak back after cannon. I did, of course, have to help the girls put up another tarp, but it was worth it. I got to witness a "wenching."

Calculus has been getting steadily harder. We're working into infinite series, which is a common stumbling block for students at this level. As its name suggests, it involves a lot of working with infinity, which is very ambiguous to me. It also involves a lot of obscure algebra, the stuff that I never liked in high school. The stuff I would learn for the test and then actively try to forget. However, so far so good. We had our half-way midterm yesterday, one of the two BIG exams in terms of final grades, and I think I scraped a B. My grade average is holding out at about an 82% right now, and if I got an 80% on the test, then my average won't change much.

I'm also looking into getting more computer industry certifications. I already have a Cisco CCNA that proves I know how to design and troubleshoot simple networks. I earned it after taking a VoTec class, but it's about to hit its 3-year expiration date this month. I'd like to renew that, and hopefully go for the CompTIA A+ certification. The A+ would prove that I know enough about computers to be an entry-level service technician. Really, I think I know enough to be a technician right now, as I have a ton of experience with my family's and friends' computers. But certifications are what employers like to see. Somewhat reliable proof that I know what I say I know.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a busy summer, Chris! I'm real proud of you!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete