Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day Tripper

So, continuing after drill on Sunday afternoon. Having being bussed from Ft. Carson to Aurora to drop off gear and be released, I drove back down to Larkspur to join Ashley. I was able to get into faire for the last half hour or so of the business day, just as everyone was leaving. Ashley was a bit caught up for a while, because she was participating in a "Wench Walk." For those unfamiliar, a wench walk is an event when several wenches, about 6-10, gather in a pack and Wench (verb) unsuspecting men. When one is wenched, they are placed in a circle, and the wenches take turns in placing very lipstick-laced kisses on exposed skin. Very traumatic. Ashley tried to have me wenched, but I told her she could have me done on a different day, when I wasn't three days in the outdoors.

After that, Ashley and I tried to get ready for the party. Ashley was supposed to bring a food dish, but forgot the noodles in the van that had already driven home, so we just got dressed and headed up the hill. The party itself was very interesting; it was themed Paris, circa 1900, "black and pearl." We knew very few people, just Ashley's co-workers, but the food looked excellent and the music was pleasant. The hostess made her grand entrance with 3 or 4 other women doing the can-can. Overall, very enjoyable, but we would have had a better time having known more people in attendance. We left after a couple of hours, and slept in Ashley's tent.

On Monday we drove home. Ashley wrapped up her house-sitting job, but I didn't get to recitation. The only reason to go would have been to pick up my test, and I can get that anytime. After a while, Ashley decided we should try for a day trip and see Cave of the Winds. I was a little hesitant at first, because I felt like it would be too late in the day to start a day trip. We went anyway, and stopped in at the Colorado Springs Visitor's Center. The guide there really suggested Garden of the Gods, and that was free, so we checked that out instead of the Caves. Garden of the Gods was amazing! The formations are absolutely incredible. Pictures just do not describe their magnitude and beauty. Ashley and I had dinner at The Mason Jar restaurant, and drove home very happy. I'm actually glad we went, even if we did get a late start. We'll have to do more little trips like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment