Thursday, August 23, 2007

Laptop!!!

I've been mulling it over for weeks, and I decided that a new laptop really would help my endeavors this semester. My old laptop is a bit slow at this point, but I could live with the dated technology. What really prompted me were the bulk and weight of the machine, and the fact that it has a 2 minute battery life. It's impractical to try and use that laptop very often, since I'm forced to sit near an outlet and take a few extra minutes for setup and tear-down.

So today I finally took the plunge. Armed with some leftover student loan money, I headed to Best Buy. I had already shopped around and picked out the machine, so the transaction was fairly quick. I am the proud new owner of an HP Pavilion dv2415nr. It's fairly small and light, and looks great with their Wave pinstripe design. It's got Windows Vista, an AMD Turion dual-core processor, comes with 1GB of RAM (I'll probably upgrade that posthaste), and built-in NVIDIA GeForce graphics! Not to mention the internal wireless network card (revolutionary for me), DVD burner, and built-in webcam that I don't know how to access yet. W00t!!!

The jury's still out on Windows Vista, as I'm having to relearn the locations of many utilities and interface features. It's pretty, sure, but how does it perform? Does it make me more efficient? Time will tell. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Either way, this is my first brand-new brand-name never-touched perfect-battery-condition laptop! I'm totally geeking out here!

2 comments:

  1. Spread the word on your blog! Buy a copy! Support our troops!

    A U.S. soldier recommended for the medal of honor has written a book at the war in Iraq. It is a first-hand account of the 2004 Battle of Fallujah. The American soldiers eventually won the block-by-block battle, but the cost was great. David Bellavia conveys
    the intense experiences of combat, and presents well-drawn portraits of his fellow soldiers, as he captures their heroism and sacrifice.

    I hear this book is even better than Blackhawk Down!

    You can order it now:

    "House To House" David Bellavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems a lot like my computer. Only mine doesn't have the webcam. I'm glad your having fun with your new computer.

    ReplyDelete