Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving in New Mexico

Last Wednesday I set off for a visit to my parent's house in New Mexico. It was a long drive, but this time I actually followed close to the posted speed limits (now that I know there are actually policemen on duty between Ft. Garland and Española!). I got down without a hitch, and greeted everyone. It was great to see everyone, it's always such a long time between visits. Thursday Mom and Dad were busy cooking the turkey and the fixings, and Aunt Rhonda and Aunt Teresa arrived late in the morning. At about one, we sat down, and Jeannie read a very touching story about a little Russian girl and the power of prayer. Everything was so good! After the meal, everyone sort of took turns watching football, eating dessert, and loafing around the house.

Friday we got out to see the town. This was Rhonda and Teresa's first visit, so we took them around the town, and into a few neighborhoods that I hadn't seen before either. That afternoon we took family pictures, and I took some individuals in my Class A's. We ended up taking alternate family pictures with me wearing my Class A's that turned out very nice as well. It was after we left the studio that my mother was reminded of the photographer's prices. Everything is very expensive, and we feel bad about buying one set and mass reproducing copies for the entire extended family. My parents will probably end up buying a few because the pictures were great, but they may use their own photos if they decide to send a picture to everyone in the family.

Saturday was another big event, a playoff home game for Zach's high school football team, the Los Alamos Hilltoppers. They were undefeated up to that game, but they were up against the Artesia Bulldogs, the #1 seeded team. The Artesia team was a lot bigger than Los Alamos, but Zach was hopeful. All throughout the game, the Los Alamos stands were going wild for every play. It was really a spectacle to see this much support from the crowd at a high school football game. In the end, the Toppers lost 34 to 15, giving the Bulldogs a brilliant fight and some clear talent. I think if the Los Alamos team was bigger and not having to use guys for both sides of the ball, they might have had a better chance. I know Zach was in about 4/5 of the plays. It was Zach's last football game for his high school career, and I think he was proud of the game and the season. And that's what counts.

Saturday night I decided to order a new phone, as my Motorola V330 has once again decided to freeze when trying to use predictive text entry on text messages. This happened to my last phone of the same model, but last time I was still under warranty. This time, I'm not and I need to buy a new phone. My contract was up with T-Mobile, so I got a deal on a new RAZR V3t, the beefed-up RAZR with the upgraded camera and MP3 player. Sweet! I should be seeing that in the next week or so. Sunday I got an early start on the road. I drove strait through to the Colorado City rest stop, then had 3 different pit stops, which put me a little behind. I still made it home before the sunset, with plenty of time to finish the huge Arabic assignment I had put off. When I got home, Ashley confessed to me that she bought a new phone as well, a magenta RAZR V3 with cherry blossom tattoo, as well as a Bluetooth headset. She was really looking into a green PEBL but heard bad reviews about the clamshell hinge spring breaking.

I would like to have had a couple more days of free time, but such is life. Back to the final weeks of school, and the final drive to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment