Sunday, August 6, 2006

PT Failure, No More

Ok, so yet another drill weekend done. It was planned to be a quiet weekend, and basically the only things on the schedule for the lower enlisted were section training and cleaning gas masks. Well after a quick search, it became apparent that we only had a dozen or so gas masks, and the rest were probably loaned out. However, SGT Lant had some good material for section training. As a section, we're responsible for making sure that the communications equipment is running, so on a related note, he brought in a SCSI server and several hard drives to wipe. We did a review of basic computer components, and learned a good deal about SCSI peripherals that I had never dealt with. Admittedly, we didn't stay as busy as SGT Lant intended, and he had to periodically slip out for this or that, often having to stop in the middle of training. The only other person there was Whittier, and he was also popping in and out, trying to clear up his absences the past couple of drills.

Sunday morning was far less motivating. I drove to Buckley at 0630 for a diagnostic PT test. I started driving right on time, but after traffic on the highway and at the gate, I was 15 minutes late, and was just barely in time. As my current norm, I failed all three events, push-ups and sit-ups by slim margins each, and the run by a landslide. Just to kick the last bit of dignity out of my morning, I threw up the cup of yogurt and bottle of water I shouldn't have drank that morning. Getting back to the unit, we had more section training, this time with Vaughn added to the mix of in-and-out. After lunch, SGT Lant saved me from a formal counseling for my PT test, given by the new First Sergeant, by informing him it was a diagnostic, not a record test. If not for SGT Lant, I'd be in much deeper shit. However, several good things did happen Sunday. I was able to clear up my last bit of Annual Training days, so at least I have a set schedule for August. Also, on a humorous (if not good) note, Whittier got smoked by SGT Ontiveros for his notorious smart mouth. (For those not familiar with a "smoking," it is a form of punishment of minor offenses by lots of PT.) For his own good and the reputation of our section, I wish he'd stop doing stuff like that, but it was amusing all the same.

So what can I say about this weekend? Well for one, I saw the section grow a lot this weekend. SGT Lant is finally starting to come into his own as our NCOIC. He's done several things I haven't really seen from him yet. He's handled situations that need improvement with his usual fair hand, but with much more firmness and self-assurance. He demands respect when respect is due, whereas before he was simply the guy they told to take charge. He's also taken a concern for the reputation of the section among his peers, and I see that as a positive thing. As the commo section, we need to be dependable at all times, and with so few people, we all need to be model soldiers. And while SGT Lant hasn't told us this directly, I can feel his urgency for us to build that reputation. It's good to know that we're going to have a solid section with a solid leader.

When it comes to PT, I've finally seen that I'm one of the unit's weak links. There were quite a few that didn't pass it back in May, but there have been many chances since then. I'm one of two people that hasn't passed it by now. And I want that to change. This was a wake up call, that I need to get my act together and really work hard on my PT problems. I've been putting in a little effort since May, but I never seem to follow through consistently for more than a week. That's going to change, not only because I'm tired of hurting my own reputation, but also because this could threaten my career if I let this go any longer. I'm determined to make the change, and make it for good. Once I've hit the standard, I'm going to keep working up, and if I can, I'm going to become a good example, continually challenging myself to be better. All I need to do is develop a rhythm. A habit of working on PT every day. It might be difficult, but so help me God, I'm going to make it happen. I'm not going to disappoint my NCO's and myself any longer. I'm not going to focus on the negative of this situation, but rather focus on the positive improvement and the end goal. This is doable, and I'm going to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment