Monday, May 2, 2005

Last drill weekend

So yeah, life's good. School's been winding down quickly, almost too quickly. My C++ and econ teachers are pretty relaxed, but my calc teacher refuses to drop a section and just speeds thru lectures, which means I need to do homework to actually understand it. Darn!

Thursday, Ashley and I got in a little tiff. Not sure exactly what sparked it. I have a feeling she's really tense because my BCT ship date is so close. She still acts like nothing is wrong, but she's not really convincing me. Friday we got Jackie from Ft. Collins since her car has decided it needs work, and Ashley still hasn't forgiven me for whatever got her mad, even though neither of us remembers what.

Saturday and Sunday were drill days. As usual, I found a pretty dull job, being a door guard. Our unit was hosting a conference so some of the nearby units could update everyone on their training status, and we held it in the CU Medical Research Center, about a half mile from the main buildings. Since it's not a government building, none of our people had keycards to get into the building. Also, if the doors are open too long an alarm is triggered which calls the cops and such, so we couldn't prop the door. Therefore, I got the honor of opening the door for people as they entered. It actually wasn't that bad, besides the nice May snowshowers and cold weather.

On Sunday the unit also had a change of command ceremony for Brigadier General Cooke, one of the generals in charge of our unit. People were not looking forward to standing at parade rest for 2 hours, so I ended up getting out of it. I actually wish I could've been there; it didn't last as long as expected, only about an hour, and everyone that was there said that it was done very nicely and elegantly for such a backwaters base. Besides, while everyone else was at the ceremony, I was on trash detail at the main building, making sure that the offices were fit to be seen if the general wanted a walkthru. He didn't, as far as I know.

On the plus side, there was cake, and we got out an hour early.

Not much time left. I'm starting to feel the rush.
29 days left

Edit from journal entry:

Door guard was done with Pvt. Dixit and SPC Quist.

I'm getting excited about BCT. My buddy SPC Leuthaeuser is going to help me with PT. Hope I have time to improve.

There's a big recruiting scandal in the media. And always more reports of deaths in Iraq. I really hope I'm not mobilized for a year or so.

1 comment: