Sunday, March 30, 2008

Meet the New Unit

This weekend was my first drill with my new unit. My new section is an interesting group. Let's start with the current section sergeant, Sergeant Rhino. He's thick-skinned and all business, but fortunately he does have a sense of humor at times. He'll need a sense of humor with Private McLovin around. PVT McL seems to be a class clown and a lady's man, and a text message addict. In contrast, there is PFC Gadget who is probably more of a computer whiz than myself, and has more disposable income for fun electronics. Finally, my counterpart is PFC Jade, the only female in the section. She seems easily bored, but generally good-tempered. In addition, we have two people from out of town to fill slots. Our officer, Mr. Whiz, seems very friendly and knowledgeable, and Sergeant Buccaneer is a backup to Sergeant Rhino.

I think I'll be able to work with everybody in the section, and if I'm lucky I'll be able to put up with them when we're off-duty too. I have no idea yet how much free time we'll have or what sort of recreation will be available. I'm not counting on anything yet, but I sincerely hope that my biggest problem during this deployment is boredom. If things are exciting, then we have problems. I guess I'm anxious to know what life will be like, but I'm trying very hard not to think about it. The more I dream about the sort of schedule or accommodations we'll have, the more disappointed I'll be when the plan changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment