Thursday, March 17, 2005

Bicycle rides again!

Yesterday, when I realized that gas prices weren't going to dip back down for a while, I decided that fixing my bike would be a great idea. I bought new inner-tubes, got the thorns out of the tires, and now my bike is ready to ride!

I took it for a spin down to Ashley's house, and it was very easy to tell I hadn't done it in a while. I stretched leg muscles that I haven't used since I got my driver's license. At Ashley's, we hung out for a little bit, then she left to house-sit for the night. Ethel asked me what we wanted to do for dinner, so I rode over to Applebee's and got us some chicken tenders and a burger, and rode back. After we ate, I did some fine-tuning on the piano, then started practicing a rendition of Malagueña out of Ashley's songbooks. At about 9:30, I finally rode home. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to bring my head and taillights with me, so it was a dark ride home.

I had forgotten how much fun it was to ride like that. Riding in the park at dusk was enchanting, and I heard the sounds of everyday life that you miss in a car. I waved to passers-by, and they waved back, so it was also much more personal and friendly. It was like I had rediscovered a simpler life, "the way it used to be." And it saves me money and is better on the environment, both of which I like a lot. It also looks like it will improve my health (I really need to start getting in shape, 2 1/2 months to go until Basic).

After spring break, I'm going to try and bike to and from school on good days. If I get the guts, that is. C'mon, its only a 4-mile ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment