Sunday, April 8, 2007

Driving and Drumline

Well, the first week back from break wasn't too bad. I started driving more bus runs, and I've done several WillVille shifts plus a geology run to Chautauqua. Hanging out under the flatirons was very relaxing, so I think I'll be taking more of those runs! Wednesday evening Ashley gave me a couple more gray hairs by calling me and telling me she had backed her car into a ditch. I didn't ask questions, I just grabbed Jackie and started driving over. It turns out she was trying to get to a house in east Boulder for her poop-scooping job and missed a turn, so she attempted to turn around in a rural area, and backed one wheel into a small drainage ditch. She had called a tow truck and was towed out by the time I arrived. I wasn't very happy about it, but I knew that she just needed me to help at that moment. She got the grumpy treatment for the rest of the night. I wasn't angry, just grumpy my relaxing evening was upset.

But Saturday night was a real treat. It was the RMPA State Championship. After a bit of getting our plans confused and reorganized, Ashley, Jackie and I drove up to the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland. We met up with Kelly when we got there, and were just in time to see Broomfield and some of it's competitors' shows in the final round. After that, we went out to dinner and caught up with Kelly. She's been doing very well. We decided to drop in and visit Kelly's fiance Will and their house. It's a huge house! It seems perfect for them. After a while we drove back to the event center and waited for the score announcements. After the usual pomp and circumstance, they announced the scores for Regional Open class, and what do you know? For the first time, Broomfield won first place! We were so excited. For most of the years I participated we were always second. Always just behind. So close. I haven't been a part of the line for a long time and only just recognized a few faces, but I still feel like I have a small claim to their success this year. In an ancient history sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment