Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Class Ends, Job Begins?

Last Thursday was my last day of class for the summer, and I'm glad to be finished with this Matrix Methods and Applications class. I was really looking forward to the applications, but it turned out to be all methods. Once again, I've learned a lot of math techniques and I'm left with no idea when they're useful. Brilliant. I don't have my grade back, but I'm pretty sure I passed at least.

A couple of weeks ago, Ashley and I and some friends took a camping trip up to Kelly Dahl campground near Nederland. We did a lot of catching up, and a little hiking and geocaching. You can check out our photos on Picasa. We took Apollo, and he had a blast.

It was great to get outdoors and remember that I can tear myself away from computers when I need to. I spend a lot of my time using my computers. Even when I go out around town, I have my G1, which has more processing power than our family's first computer, and constantly keeps me connected to the internet. When I think about it, I realize that my children will probably never know a life without computers or the internet; it will always be a part of their lives, and probably a daily part, at least as soon as they start learning to read. Will they know how to moderate themselves? Will they know how to get away? Only if I teach them, I guess.

Anyway, I've had a couple of "interviews" for programming gigs, though neither of them was a formal interview. One of them is a short-term contract that involves revamping a website with educational programs; the other is a startup company in Boulder that has a great idea for a new website. I don't know if either gig will hire me at this point, but I'm still crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment