Friday, October 3, 2008

Life in Iraq

Well folks, I know it's been a while. I haven't had a chance to post
because the Internet in our office doesn't allow access to blog sites,
or a great number of other things. Half the time, I can't even
download printer drivers for my job!

Life is going well out here. After a short transition period, our
preceding unit left for home, and we settled into our daily routine.
For me, it starts out a 5 in the morning for PT. After a shower and
some breakfast, I report in to the office. We're currently in for
about 10 hours a day to make sure that when problems happen, we're
around. After dinner, I usually have a couple of hours to relax and
unwind. We're working 7 days a week, which is official policy
according to our commander. I hope it changes at some point, because
it really wears me down. Not to mention, it's difficult to do things
like get haircuts with so precious little down time. On the other
hand, I'm thankful that I have an office job that keeps me relatively
safe.

The base we live on is a dusty logistics hub. There are many buildings
left from the time the Iraqi Republican Guard used the base, as well
as many trailers for offices and living quarters that Coalition Forces
have installed. There are concrete T-walls everywhere that protect
from and contain mortar round fragments, as mortar attacks are fairly
common on some parts of the base. We happen to be in an area that is
well protected by terrain and rarely sees indirect fire. Lucky us.
Despite all of the dust and rock beds and occasional trees on base, we
can see a lot of greenery on the outside of the wire. After all, this
is the target=_blank>fertile crecent. It's a region of rich history and
culture, but I probably won't get a chance to experience much of that.

I'm really doing pretty well here, and most importantly, I feel safe
and happy and lucky. We can't ask for more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment